Should I contact my state legislator about potential cuts?
Visit siumatters.com for information on how you can contact legislators.
Faculty and staff are always welcome to contact your legislator to share your opinions. However, it is important that you comply with board policy. University policy limits the use of university-owned computers and communication networks to purposes related to the discharge of their duties as employees, official business with the University, or other university-sanctioned activities. As such, contact with any representative should be on the employee’s own time and should not utilize the University’s computers or email. Employees, as private citizens, are permitted to contact their representatives to express their personal views and opinions or request actions by their representatives.
- How much of the university’s budget is covered by state appropriations?
- Why is the university discussing potential reductions in state funding?
- Has the university made any cuts in response to the state budget so far?
- Will SIU Carbondale and the School of Medicine really need plan for a 20 percent reduction in state appropriations next year after a year with no appropriation at all?
- Originally, I heard that the governor’s proposed reduction of 31.5 percent for this year represented a cut of only about 6 percent to our budget, not 31.5 percent. Is this accurate?
- Is it possible that there could be no cuts?
- My office has a state account that supports our operations. Is this a state appropriation that is at risk to be cut?
- When will we know what the actual figure will be?
- Will there be layoffs?
- Can the university offset cuts through tuition and enrollment increases?
- Can the university offset potential cuts through the SIU Foundation’s endowment?
- Can the university increase fundraising efforts to help offset cuts?
- Can the university generate new revenue to help the budget?
- What is the role of the system office and the SIU Board of Trustees?
- What is the university doing to oppose these cuts?