Harvey W. Everest
Everest held presidencies at Hiram College, Eureka College, Butler University and Garfield University before talking the helm at Southern in 1893.
A respected clergyman in the Christian church, he had previously served as pastor in Springfield and Normal, Ill.,
Lexington, Ky., and Hutchinson, Kan. Author Eli G. Lentz, in his book “ Seventy-five Years in Retrospect,” recalls that Everest “…built upon (educational) foundations already well laid and sought only to improve the Normal-school curriculum…The building campaign went forward under his leadership with the cordial support of (Illinois Governor) Altgeld’s Administration.”
“The 39th General Assembly (1895) made an appropriation of $40,000 for a science building which was completed without undue delay and dedicated with appropriate ceremonies, Dec. 22, 1896.” Everest resigned in 1897 to take the chair of the philosophy department at Drake University.