SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY CARBONDALE
University President Randy J. Dunn and the Board of Trustees of the Southern Illinois University System invite applications and nominations for the position of Chancellor of Southern Illinois University Carbondale. Founded in 1869, SIUC is the flagship campus of the Southern Illinois University System. SIUC is a strong, diverse, student-centered research-intensive and comprehensive university which recently was selected to receive the 2015 community engagement classification by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. Located 100 miles southeast of St. Louis, Missouri, SIUC is a Carnegie-classified high research public university offering thirty-four doctoral and professional degree programs, eighty programs at the master’s level, ninety-five undergraduate fields of study, and three associate degree programs. Nearly 16,000 students are served through the Graduate School, the Schools of Law and Medicine, and eight other collegiate units including Agricultural Sciences, Applied Sciences and Arts, Business, Education and Human Services, Engineering, Liberal Arts, Mass Communication and Media Arts, and Science.
SIUC continues to rank among the nation’s top colleges and universities in the number of its students from traditionally underrepresented groups. Understanding the emerging and shifting demographics of these groups, the University is committed to providing a welcoming environment and the highest possible quality of education that will prepare all its students to become productive citizens in a multicultural world. Recognized for its wide array of academic programs, its research agenda, and for its strong presence in global education, the University is a partner in many international linkages and exchange agreements.
The physical beauty of the region is a major attraction to students, faculty and visitors. Sixty miles to the south of Carbondale is the historic confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers, the two forming the border of the southern tip of Little Egypt, the fourteen southernmost counties in Illinois. Situated within ten miles of the campus are two state parks and four large recreational lakes, and much of the area is a part of the 240,000-acre Shawnee National Forest.
Role and Responsibilities of the Chancellor:
The Chancellor is Southern Illinois University Carbondale’s chief academic and operating officer, accountable to the President of the Southern Illinois University System and the Board of Trustees. Within a complex environment which values shared governance and collective bargaining, and within the context of the larger University system, the Chancellor is responsible for leading the University community in the pursuit of excellence in teaching, scholarship and service. The Chancellor is responsible for building and motivating an administrative team charged with executing long-range plans developed in a participatory manner by the Chancellor and approved by the President and Board of Trustees. The Chancellor is responsible for insuring that administrative functions are undertaken within the framework of approved personnel, fiscal, and student life policies for the institution and the University system and collective bargaining agreements, as well as State and federal law. The Chancellor is responsible for advancing the interests of the University by working effectively with government officials; alumni and foundation support groups; other public and private university colleagues; and business and industry. The Chancellor’s leadership is exercised in a manner consistent with cooperative membership in a larger university system and in a manner consistent with the broader goals of the Southern Illinois University System.
Minimum qualifications are an earned doctorate or appropriate terminal degree with a record of academic achievement commensurate with appointment as a tenured professor.
Desired qualities and experiences include:
1. Outstanding Leadership Skills. The ability to lead a complex academic institution during a period of scarce or declining resources is essential to success in the role of Chancellor.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and to engage the entire campus community in support of a shared vision.
- Demonstrated ability to form and articulate a clear, well-defined, and futuristic vision for SIUC and to work toward its attainment.
- A track record of administrative excellence at a student-centered research university.
- Possess a personality that is comfortable in maintaining high visibility and open dialogue with students, faculty, and staff, and with external constituencies such as alumni; city, state, and federal officials and agencies; the media; and opinion leaders.
2. Possess an Outstanding Reputation. The Chancellor will have achieved recognition as a leader in his/her academic discipline so as to command the respect of the academic community and a reputation for observing the highest ethical standards, the highest standards of quality and excellence, and intellectual honesty. Will also have achieved a position of respect and distinction as represented by academic or other relevant peer-awarded honors.
3. The Chancellor will possess a sensitivity to and appreciation for the special character of SIUC and the region it serves.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in an ethnically, financial, and racially diverse academic environment which values its diversity as a major strength.
- Possess a commitment to cultural diversity and equal opportunity through demonstrated knowledge, skills and abilities in diversity and cultural competency.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate and reconcile the diverse roles of Carnegie high research institution which is also committed to the academic and personal development of its undergraduates.
- Experience in an academic environment that includes the professional schools of law and medicine.
- Demonstrated willingness to encourage access and success of economically disadvantaged and first-generation college students.
4. Outstanding Administrative Ability. The Chancellor’s ability to build and motivate a diverse and effective administrative team that can work cooperatively and collegially with campus leadership and constituencies as well as with the President and University system administration is essential.
- Demonstrated competencies in fiscal planning and policy, contemporary administrative and organizational concepts and practices, educational planning and evaluation procedures, and the utilization of advanced technologies to deliver educational services.
- Demonstrated appreciation for students, relevant curricula, teaching excellence, and recruitment and retention.
- Demonstrated competencies in fiscal oversight.
5. Building External Support. The ability to successfully fundraise by cultivating and soliciting donations from individuals and organizations for the long-term financial stability of the University is a critical competency for the Chancellor.
- Demonstrated experience in strengthening relationships and partnerships between a university and state, national, and international organizations, both public and private.
- An appreciation of and a commitment to diversity in an atmosphere of civility and mutual respect.
The position will be available July 1, 2017, or as negotiated. Screening of applicants will begin January 15, 2017. Nominations and applications will be examined on a continuing basis until a suitable number are identified for interviews. Candidates should include with their curriculum vitae, a letter of application describing their relevant experiences and interest in the position, together with the names, addresses, and phone numbers of references. References will not be contacted without prior permission of the applicant. All nominations and applications will be held in confidence except for finalists. Please address applications, nominations, and communications to:
Chancellor Search Advisory Committee
c/o Penny Moon
Office of the President
Southern Illinois University System
1400 Douglas Drive
Mail Code 6801
Carbondale, IL 62901
Southern Illinois University Carbondale is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.