The following timeline is current as of November 7, 2016, and is subject to revision.
- Identification of Search Advisory Committee.
- Office of the President develops first draft of job description and advertisement.
- Review of job description and advertisement.
- Website development.
- Identification of advertising venues.
- Establish campus email to accept applications if necessary.
- Initial meeting of Search Advisory Committee (get acquainted with each other; committee receives charge from President; discussion concerning affirmative action guidelines; review of job description; advertisement suggestions).
- Advertise job description.
- Website goes live.
- Second meeting of Search Advisory Committee.
- Third meeting of SAC (review of screening process and role in search of applicants).
- Diversity Training.
- Announcement made to SIU community seeking nominations.
November 2016/December 2016/January 2017
- Search of candidates and acceptance of applications.
- Ongoing review of applications.
- Select on-campus interview dates and reserve rooms.
- Selection of candidates for Skype interviews (approximately 10 candidates).
- Finalize interview protocol.
February/March 2017 (before Spring Break)
- Skype interviews.
March 2017 (after Spring Break)
- Background checks, including credit, criminal, and motor vehicle background checks; on- and off-list reference checks; verification of credentials; journal articles; conduct media reviews for potentially controversial areas of concern; obtain candidates’ signed statement of resume accuracy; confidentially determine suitability as full professor.
- Committee compiles list of potential finalist strengths and weaknesses for presidential review.
- President selects finalist for campus visit.
- On-campus interviews.
- Final reference checks and verifications.
- Committee compiles constituency feedback for presidential review.
- President provides recommendation to the Board of Trustees.
- President discusses potential offer with candidate.
- Board of Trustees approves the hire of next Chancellor.